Patrick M. Noe, Jr., Attorney at Law

Patrick M. Noe, Jr. Attorney at Law

Free Initial Phone Consultation

How can a New Yorker appeal a child custody order?

There are a lot of disappointing decisions that people make and we have to live with, like a mechanic's denial of inspection on a car. But some decisions are so important that we can't simply get over it. And few decisions are more important than the ones that affect our children.

  • What happens if a child custody case is decided against a parent?

Child custody is often the most divisive part of a divorce or separation, because things and assets may be replaced but time spent with offspring never can be. If a decision made by a family court in New York is unacceptable, a person may appeal on some occasions to a higher court.

  • Why would this be the case?

A parent may feel that his or her rights are not being respected by the initial ruling. Another possibility is a parent believes the ruling may put a child or children in danger or in a position that does not suit their best interests.

  • How does someone file an appeal?

A person must file an appeal within 30 days of a custody order's announcement or reception by the person, whichever is earliest. A notice of appeal must be filed in the proper family court and request an intervention from the proper appellate court.

  • How can a person increase the strength of an appeal?

The court system itself suggests that a person considering an appeal consult an attorney. Legal representation may be the most vital part of seeking child custody, and a lawyer can work with other parties to figure out an alternative option.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Patrick M. Noe, Jr.
1301 North Forest Road, Suite 2
Williamsville, NY 14221

Phone: 716-803-8741
Fax: 716-565-1575
Williamsville Law Office Map