Aggressive. Professional. Effective.

Protecting The Relationships Between Grandparents And Grandchildren

The relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren is often a great treasure for everyone involved. However, there are some cases where grandparents face obstacles that prevent them from visiting or caring for their grandchildren.

Grandparents have legal options to establish their rights to see their grandchildren.

At Patrick M. Noe, Jr., Attorney at Law, we understand the importance of maintaining that special relationship between grandparents and grandchildren. That is why people in the greater Buffalo area seek out our law firm for our compassionate services and our aggressive advocacy. Dealing with family law matters is not always easy, but we provide you with the support you deserve to meet your needs. The lawyer you choose can make all the difference in your case. Call our Amherst office today at 716-803-8741 for a phone consultation.

What Rights Do Grandparents Have?

While New York recognizes that grandchildren should have contact with their grandparents, grandparents’ rights are limited. The law gives more power to the parents, allowing them to raise their children how they wish as long as it is in the child’s best interests.

Grandparents who are concerned about spending time with or caring for their grandchildren can only request visitation rights through a court order when:

  • One or both parents pass away
  • There is a significant existing relationship with the grandchild
  • The child’s parents interfere or bar the relationship with the grandchild

Even if these factors match your circumstances, grandparents still have the burden of proof to obtain visitation or child custody rights. It is their responsibility to prove that it is in the child’s best interests to maintain a relationship.

We Advocate For You

It can be challenging to establish your rights as a grandparent. However, we at Patrick M. Noe, Jr., Attorney at Law, seek to help you achieve your goals. We analyze your case to help you decide the best path forward. You will work directly with attorney Noe to help prove your legal grounds and petition the court for your grandparent rights. It is our goal to take the stress out of the legal process and obtain the best possible results available to you.

Contact Us For Professional Guidance

We provide you with effective and experienced counsel throughout your case. Call 716-803-8741 for a phone consultation or contact us online.